What is a medical directive?
A medical directive is a written medical order that may be implemented for a number of patients under specific circumstances and when specific conditions are met. It is implemented by regulated health professionals, such as nurses, dietitians, nurse practitioners and pharmacists.
A medical directive is used only when it is in the patient’s interest for a designated health professional to implement the procedure without the physician’s direct assessment at the time of implementation.
Thames Valley Family Health Team (TVFHT) medical directives
Within TVFHT, physicians and regulated health professionals have to sign our medical directive implementation forms for the medical directive to be active.
If you are a member of the public, please click here for more information on medical directives or ask your health care provider.
If you are a health professional, please go to your college’s website for more information.
Medical directives currently in use:
- 001 – Allergy Injection
- 003A – Diabetes Education, Ordering, Laboratory Investigations and Prescription of Supplies and Capillary Blood Glucose Monitoring
- 003B – Type 2 Diabetes Medical Management in Non-Pregnant Adults
- 006 – Ear Syringing/Removal of Cerumen
- 007 – Emergency Treatment of Anaphylaxis – Severe Allergic Reactions to Allergy Injections or Immunizations
- 008 – Administration of Immunizations
– Publicly funded immunization schedules for Ontario
- 009 – Application of Liquid Nitrogen
- 010 – Administration of Depo-Provera
- 011 – First Obstetrical Visit
- 013 – Assessment and Treatment of Pharyngitis in Adults
- 014 – Assessment and Treatment of Pharyngitis in Children 3 to <15 years of age
- 015 – Prescription Medications for Smoking Cessation for Adults
- 016 – Suture or Staple Removal
- 017 – TB Skin Testing
- 018 – Assessment and Treatment of Lower Uncomplicated UTI in Non-Pregnant Females 12 yo and older
- 020 – Warfarin Dosage Adjustment and INR Testing for Adults Treated with Warfarin
- 023 – Pre and Post Bronchodilator Spirometry Testing and Treatment Initiation
- 024 – Gynecological Assessment and Specimen Collection
- 025 – Naloxone Administration
- 027 – Staff Influenza Vaccine
- 029 – New Serology Ordering
- 030 – Injectable Substances