Protecting Your Privacy
Keeping Your Personal Health Information Private, Secure and Confidential
Collection of Personal Health Information
We collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include:
- Your name,
- Date of birth,
- Contact information,
- Health history,
- Records of your visits,
- The care you received during those visits
- Your health card number and private insurance information.
Personal health information in your doctor’s electronic medical record (EMR):
Your doctor is the custodian of this information. Please contact your doctor directly about personal health information contained in the EMR.
We use your personal health information to…
- Treat and care for you
- Deliver our programs
- Teach our staff and students
- Review the care we provide
- Survey you to see how we are doing
- Meet our legal requirements
- Plan, administer and manage our internal operations
- Conduct health research
We may share your personal health information with …
- Agencies that pay for health services, such as OHIP, health insurance companies, Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB), and the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
- Provincial networks & registries, for example Cancer Care Ontario
- Other health care providers or service providers involved in your care.
You have the right to …
- Have your personal health information kept private and secure,
- Be informed if your personal health information has been lost, stolen or inappropriately accessed,
- Request to view or receive a copy of your personal health record,
- Request a correction to your personal health information if you feel it is inaccurate or incomplete,
- Request that we restrict the use or sharing of your personal health information.
We will comply with your wishes unless it conflicts with our legal requirements.
How to contact us or learn more …
If you have a question or a concern,
- speak with your physician or anyone on your care team
- contact a Privacy Officer at the Thames Valley Family Health Team (see below)
- see the links below for more information about how we manage your personal health information.
Keri Selkirk, Executive Director & Privacy Officer
Dr. Laura Neumann, Medical Director & Privacy Officer
Thames Valley Family Health Team
6-1385 North Routledge Park
London Ontario N6H 5N5
Tel. 519-473-0530, ext. 460
Or, you may contact the Information & Privacy Commissioner of Ontario at:
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto Ontario M4W 1A8
Phone: 1 (800) 387-0073
Want to learn more about how we manage and protect your personal health information?
Read or download our policies related to privacy by clicking on the links below:
- Safeguards for Personal Health Information Policy
- Lockbox Policy and Lockbox Information Sheet
- Access to Personal Health Information Policy and how to access your personal health information
- Correction of Information Policy and how to request a correction to your personal health information
- Privacy Breach Protocol