One-time session, 2 hours
A registered dietitian and a registered nurse will discuss the importance of blood sugar control and associated risk factors.
Dr. Jeff Alfonsi (https://rxfood.co/jeff-alfonsi) will join the end of the presentation to introduce the free Rx Food app to participants.
Who should attend?
Individuals who are at risk for or have pre-diabetes or newly diagnosed diabetes.
Learn how to change your health behaviours in order to improve your blood sugar control and minimize associated complications.
Optional: Learn how to track your dietary intake through a combination of photos, short texts, or voice control using the free Rx Food app. The app gathers your dietary information and provides you with a detailed summary, which then allows you to make personalized goals and work towards improved health outcomes.
- 7-Day Healthy Meal Plan, from Diabetes Canada
- Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines (adults 18-64)
- Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines (adults 65+)
- Carbohydrates in food
- Eat what you love, love what you eat with Diabetes Plate
- Glycemic Index Food Guide from Diabetes Canada
- Just the Basics – tips to help you until you see a registered dietitian. From Diabetes Canada
- Mental health issues – looking after your mental health while living with diabetes
- Prediabetes – all about prediabetes from Diabetes Canada
- SMART goal sheet
- Snacks that balance blood sugar
- Aerobic exercise
- Resistance exercise
- Using food labels
“I liked that it provided me with a deeper understanding of how diet and exercise can impact my sugar levels.” (April 2023)
“Content of presentation was very informative, liked opportunity for Q&A, also great to have handouts for more info and as a reminder of content.” (April 2023)
“The facilitators were awesome. Very empathetic and knowledgeable.” (February 2023)
“Clear, concise and direct but delivered in a relaxed manner…….not a clinical lecture.” (January 2023)